Stuffed French Toast
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 pound loaf firm white bread
- 12 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, milted (1/4 pound) **Note: If you double the recipe do not double butter)
- 1/4 cup pancake mix
- Strawberry Sauce: (Optional) ***Fresh strawberries cut up is what I use not frozen.
- 2 cup sliced fresh strawberries ( 1 pint)
- 2 cups strawberry preserves *** I use sugar free
The French toast must be prepared the night before, then baked just before serving.
1. Grease a 13X9X2 inch glass baking dish.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Spread the ream cheese over half of the bread slices.
4. Cover with the remaining slices to make sandwiches.
5. Remove the crust and cut into 1-inch cubes.
6. Place in the prepared baking dish.
7. Mix the eggs, cream, maple syrup, pancake mix and melted butter until well blended.
8. Pour evenly over the bread, press the bread down until it soaks up the egg mixture.
9. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or overnight
10. Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned. ***Note: you should be able to insert a knife in the center and it should come out clean if done.
Meanwhile , make the sauce.
1. Heat the strawberries and strawberry preserves in a saucepan, stirring gently, until the preserves have melted.
2. Cut the French toast into squares and serve warm, with the strawberry sauce.
Makes 10-12 servings, 3 1/2 cups strawberry sauce.