Total preparation time: 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped and toasted)
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (Skim is OK)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread (supermarket style) cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup butter
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, mix and melt brown sugar, butter, syrup, cinnamon, and pecans. Butter or spray a 9"X13" baking dish with canola oil and pour the syrup mixture into the bottom.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk and vanilla. Arrange the bread slices in the baking dish and pour the egg mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. One hour before baking, remove French toast from the refrigerator. Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
4. Its fragrance, along with that of our own Spicy Sausage patties in the frying pan, really gets everyone up in the morning.